Friday, March 29, 2013

Some smiles for my Friday


There are some things that just make me smile, even if I try not to.

Samaira has a yoga session every week. I take her to this 1:1 yoga session where she practices with her teacher while I sit on the side mat and observe both of them. It is typically an hour long session and I, for no reason at all, am smiling for about 80% of that session. Really, for absolutely no reason. Something about this hour just makes me smile. It is kind of funny how Samaira’s yoga session centers me and brings me into a zen mode.

When I go to Samaira’s day care to pick her up at the end of the day, she gives me the BIGGEST smile ever and waves vigorously at me. That makes me smile.

The thing that has changed over the last few weeks, however, is that Samaira’s toothless smiles have been replaced by her central & now lateral incisor filled smiles. My sister told me only recently, that when her babies had toothless smiles, she used to often wonder what their teeth-filled smiles would be like. Honestly, the thought of Samaira’s smile changing never occurred to me until my sister said this to me. It finally became a reality now that she actually has a couple of teeth coming out! And boy is it different. She has a different smile now!

I really miss her toothless smiles. And that made me nostalgic about the last 15.5 months with Samaira. What else have I taken for granted that will change over time, and that I will miss later on? I wish I could capture it all and preserve it for later. Maybe I should take more photos & videos. We are not a camera handy family. As in, we don’t always have camera ready to capture the everyday precious moments of life. Maybe I should make an effort to be more camera-ready and capture it all! While I am having this monologue, I am internally resolving to capture more of Samaira’s childhood. I think, for me though, a first step would be to experience Samaira’s childhood in a little bit of a more be-in-the-moment state (can’t think of a better word). I feel like in the hustle-bustle of life and work, I sometimes forget to just experience things as they are. 

Ok, so here is a resolution. How about I just try to be more present when I am with Samaira and try to experience all that she is? Once I do that, I will graduate to capturing it all as well. I feel pretty good about my new resolution! Obviously, it is easier said than done! 

But at least it is a happy thought for a Friday, and that makes me smile J.



No comments: