Monday, April 28, 2014

Our attitude is our luck

“You are lucky that you have always worked in places and things that you love and that you are so passionate about. Not everyone gets to have that, you know.” I said this to Siddharth the other day.

“You are right, but it is not all luck. I work toward loving what I do and it is my attitude that defines how I feel.”

Siddharth has not complained a single day about his work, not one day. He is extremely passionate about what he does. He is always upbeat when it comes to his work. He has never used the word “bored” or “not excited” for his job. I think it is pretty rare.

But when he said it is not all luck and his attitude as well, it very quickly made a lot of sense to me. I can see how my attitude can impact how I feel about my work, and anything for that matter. I can choose to have fun or choose to sulk. I can choose to enjoy my work or choose to be grumpy about things that are wrong. I can choose to fix what is wrong or I could complaint about everything that doesn’t work. I can see that a lot of what I feel is about my choices and my attitude. It is not all luck.

My Dad always says “love your work and you won’t have to work a single day in your life.” I have heard similar quotes many more times in my adult life. While love has never been a matter of choice for me, because it is driven by something so innate in me that no external force can ever drive who or what I love, my attitude does drive my enjoyment level at work and in life.

Just the other day I was talking to my mom about how I don’t like seeing certain people as they don’t make me happy. Although I don’t have a choice but to see them. While I went on complaining for almost 10 minutes, my mom was listening to me very patiently. Here is what she said to me after I was done rambling “Any time I felt negative and down in someone’s company I thought of myself. I thought of myself because other people, their thoughts, their actions, their attitudes are not my responsibility. But I am my responsibility. I have the right to happiness and I am responsible for doing what I can in my capacity to be happy. “ BOOM. Powerful. Mighty. Words.

While I am really really really lucky to be surrounded by some amazing friends, which by the way is super important to me because I live so far away from my family, it is not all luck. My friends is a choice I have made. My luck will take me only so far. For the rest, well, my attitude will once again come my rescue as it determines the choices I make! And that is why my attitude is my luck.

Keep Looking Forward

No comments: