Monday, July 28, 2014

Eyes

A little over 10 years ago, when I was a student in Arizona, I attended an Art of Living workshop. At that time I didn’t think I got much out of it. At this time I don’t remember most of it so I am not sure what I really got out of it. but there is exactly one thing I remember. One of the exercises required us to pair up with another person and switch partners every so often, sort of like speed dating. We were supposed to sit facing each other and hold hands and look into the other person’s eyes. I forget what the point of this exercise was. It was kind of awkward to begin with. Sitting in front of a stranger, or worse yet a non-stranger, holding their hands and looking into their eyes is not the most natural situation. But this is pretty much the only thing I remember because I learnt a very important lesson that day. After we were told what the exercise was and before we started this exercise I was screaming in my head “Gosh…please don’t pair me with that guy…anyone but that one.” Honestly, I don’t know why I felt that way. I guess I just assumed I won’t enjoy the exercise with this particular person. I know that sounds totally mean. I it think it is kind of mean. Hopefully I have matured since then. Anyway. About 15 seconds into the exercise I decided to focus on doing what was being asked of us and focus on that person’s eyes. And all I could see was a very very pure innocent soul. I know that sounds overly preachy, but that is absolutely true. I then switched partners at least a few more times and experienced the exact same thing with everyone. No matter who it was, stranger, acquaintance, make, female, person I liked, person I thought I didn’t like, anyone – looking into their eyes and focusing on nothing else for about a minute completely changed my outlook on people. It gave me a new perspective to look at people.

Try this next time. It seriously works. 99% of the times.

The point is, I truly think eyes are gateway into people’s soul. It is the most honest organ in our body. Eyes can say what our actions and words cannot. Everyone has a story and your eyes tell yours.



 My Positivity
 
It was Siddharth's birthday on July 26, Saturday. It was such a wonderful weekend that involved friends, sleep-over, Paranormal Activity IV (yes, we are into that), cake, park, fabulous brunch, date night (thanks to kids' day care for hosting Parent's Survival Night), movie, waterfront, beach, sand, water. Life is good. Really really good.

No comments: