Sunday, May 20, 2012

Pure Unadulterated Moments


In the pre-Samaira era, I would have done anything for that extra 5 minute of sleep in the morning, and anything that would come in between me and my extra-5-minutes-of-sleep would be a temporary enemy. In my post-Samaira era, no matter what time I go to bed, I get up whenever Samaira gets up in the morning. I have no way to tell how long she has been awake for if she gets up before me. But if that happens, she starts breathing in a different way and she starts looking all around the room. She doesn’t typically cry or make loud noises to mark her grand-entry into the new day.

Those first 30-60 minutes of the day are my favorite moments every single day. That’s the time when she is happy, unaffected by anything that’s going on outside, active and smiling. While she is all these things the rest of the day as well, there is something else that is different about these few minutes. This is the time when I am fresh, mostly unaffected by thoughts outside of the four walls of our room, un-jaded by what’s to come, and mostly devoid of any fatigue or not-so-positive feelings that could sometimes creep into my day for various reasons. As it turns out, it is a relatively universal new-mom feeling. I was talking to some of the fellow moms from my PEPs group and they feel the same way about the morning time being an amazing time with their babies.

I really treasure and value these minutes like somebody values their pridest possession. These are my pure un-adulterated moments with Samaira that I keep very close to my heart.


No comments: